Saturday, September 6, 2008

July 12, 2008

July 12, 2008 Burial Office and Holy Communion

Beatrice Bartlett McKnight

January 5, 1922 - June 24, 2008


Dear friends: Grace and peace to you from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ.


I want to begin this afternoon by expressing --for myself, but I think more importantly on behalf of all the members of St. Andrew’s Parish, so much an important part of many of your lives, and I know so important for Betty and Roy--a deep sense of Christian sympathy and affection at this time of loss. I wish I could have known them, and you, during your life here at St. Andrew’s and in Highland Park, which I know were meaningful years in so many ways—and as I would especially want to acknowledge the important friendship and companionship that Betty and Roy and your family shared with my friend and predecessor here as rector, Ralph Brooks.


From the time of his retirement until his death back in 2006 Ralph had decided not to participate in a pastoral leadership way in the baptisms, weddings, and funerals of his former parishioners. And I believe in all that time he made only one exception, and that was back in 1993, when he went down to Florida and preached at the service for Roy. I think that is a testimony to the quality and depth of relationship, which was both pastoral and personal, and to the integrity and character, of your family, Roy and Betty and all of you, and I want to acknowledge that today. And so indeed this afternoon my and our prayers are and will remain with you, and especially with a prayer that God’s abundant care and love will surround you and support you in the midst of this great family and your good friends in all the days ahead.


We come together to give thanks to almighty God for Betty’s life—and I know there is certainly much to be thankful about. Bonnie was kind enough to forward to me a number of messages that she had received from members of the family, with all kinds of wonderful memories. And what I gathered from all that: a woman of spirit, with energy, with her own way of doing things; certainly who didn’t like to schedule things before 2 o’clock in the afternoon! (Which commitment we honor with the time of our service today.) A woman known for kindness, a tenderness, and generosity—that word came up over and over and over again; a woman who with her strong character and sense of presence also had a certain simplicity, humility. Who was pleased to do things for others, but who didn’t want the spotlight shining back on herself. She could make a difference, quietly helping out in a difficult time (and there were several very touching stories about that, from family members who felt truly that their lives were changed by Betty’s caring intervention at a critical moment) --or by making an inspiring leadership gift for a school or on behalf of a cause she felt passionate about. But it was about getting important things done, not ever about showing off. Above all, over and over again, a woman who loved her family, her kids, her nieces and nephews--and most especially her grandchildren.


Again, tenderness, kindness, generosity. Wonderful Christian virtues. And again, as we would give thanks for her life this afternoon, as we commend her to almighty God with our prayers, to say a word of care and affection for you in the loss that you have experienced. May she rest in peace and rise in glory, and may God’s blessing and peace rest in each of your hearts and each of your lives as well.


In my Father’s house are many mansions. If it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go to prepare a place for you, I will come again, and bring you to myself, that where I am, there ye may be also.


In the midst of lives of Christian people, and perhaps most especially in the times of our lives when we experience the deepest of losses, I would think all the preacher might need to do is to lift up these words from John 14 and to allow them to do the work that they can do in speaking to our hearts of healing and reconciliation, forgiveness, love, and hope. “I go to prepare a place for you .” All which is for us in the Cross and the Empty Tomb, the life and death and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ.


For us in the commitment of our Christian faith and life, the means of grace, and the hope of glory. Not to take away the loss, the sadness of our lives, but to help us to know what that is, in the wider frame of God’s love. To know that no one and nothing in God’s love is ever truly lost, to know that his hand is extended, and that as we would reach out and accept that gift, he would take our hand in his and lead us home, to the place prepared for us. And not just any old place, but to a mansion. Which word I love, which I know in a spiritual sense represents not bricks and mortar, but the richness of a place made perfect by the presence in Christ’s love of those whom we have loved. That in Christ we would all be brought together, “that where I am, there ye might be also.” This what we might experience in the Holy Communion this afternoon, something of a simple image: in the Body and Blood of Christ, the bread broken and the wine poured out, as a spiritual food, and the anticipation and first course that we would share together of the heavenly banquet, where Betty feasts as well, with all of you, all of us at the one Holy Table of our Lord.


Again then, to say thank you, as we share our prayers and the prayers of the whole Church. “Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for thou art with me.” May God bless and keep you, comfort and care for you today and always.


Bruce Robison

No comments: